Forbes Public School

Maintaining a Tradition of Excellence

Telephone02 6852 1934

Parents, carers and the community

As a parent or carer, you are an important part of our school community. We offer a range of services to support you and your family.

Parents and Citizens’ Association (P&C)

Our Parents and Citizens’ Association (P&C) is made up of parents and carers, teachers and community members. The P&C meets regularly to contribute to decision-making, developing policies and management plans as well as fundraising.

Counselling for families

The school counsellor can assist when families undergo a trauma or big change. Contact us to make an appointment. For information in community languages, see school counselling service.

Outside of the education system, free telephone counselling services are available to support families who may be going through a difficult time.

  • Lifeline – 24-hour telephone counselling service. 13 11 14.
  • Mensline Australia – 24-hour telephone counselling service for men. 1300 789 978.
  • Parent line – an advice and information service. 1300 1300 52.

Interpreting and translations

We will help you communicate with our school. If you’d like an interpreter for a school meeting, let us know and we will arrange one, if available.

If you don’t speak or understand English well and want to contact us, call TIS National on 131 450 and ask for an interpreter in your language. The operator will call the school and get an interpreter to help. This service is free.

For more information, listen in your language.

Visit the department’s translated documents section for important information that’s relevant for your child’s education in many languages.

Changes in family life that could impinge on a child's learning

The imminent birth of a sibling, the death of a parent or grandparent, the separation of the parents, substance abuse, physical and emotional violence, a parent having to be absent for an extended period, economic difficulties etc - all can impact on the child's emotional and academic well-being. Provided the teacher or principal is made aware of these changed circumstances sensitive adjustments may be made to support the child as necessary.

Custody and access of Children

If your child is the subject of a custody or access agreement it is important that you discuss the terms of the agreement with the school. The school will require a copy of any written agreement. This will assist the school should any problems occur and confidentiality is assured. Copies of Apprehended Violence Orders, Parole Orders and Court Orders need to be provided as appropriate.

Referrals to external agencies

If teachers require special information about a student's learning, a referral may be recommended to an outside-the-school service, for example education psychologist, speech pathologist, special education. Prior to this the teacher should discuss the situation with the parents and obtain their permission. We have very good support from Community Health, Far West, Stewart House and Palm Avenue School who all provide various free support for families and individuals.